Friday, July 18, 2008

Why not blog about my favorite place, London?

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." So said Samuel Johnson, and it doesn't just apply to men. It certainly applies to me as well. This spring as I was planning my almost-annual visit to London, I was asked by a couple of co-workers who were planning their own family vacations to London for tips and suggestions. Always happy to talk about London and offer advice, I sent off a multi-page email to them. In reply, one asked why I didn't blog about it. It hadn't previously occurred to me but it was an idea to which I kept returning. There aren’t many subjects that could inspire me to dedicate myself to a regular posting of my personal thoughts on a subject. But…this one has promise.

A quick word then about me. I'm a single woman who likes to travel and does so, on a moderate budget. I’m not jetting around for a weekend, throwing my cash around, unconcerned about what anything costs and expecting to be treated like a trust fund princess. I don’t stay in Five-Star hotels, take cabs everywhere I go, and only eat in restaurants with Chefs who have TV shows. Nor do I get to expense my trip and let my company pay for all the better amenities. I’m just me, visiting my favorite place, like average Joe American. Perhaps just like you.

So here goes. Some tips and suggestions especially for people who have never been and want to have a rewarding, interesting experience on what may be the one and only trip they plan to take to London and the environs. The exchange rate of British pounds to US dollars is deplorable so everything is at a premium and you want your money to go as far as you can get it to and still feel like you had a REALLY Great vacation! I’ll share names of specific places and where I’m able, websites that will help you plan your trip. No one is paying me anything. My advice is based on my personal experience, good or bad. In some cases I may step back from making recommendations and merely state what I do, so as to leave some important personal decision to you to make. My visits usually last about a week. I haven’t had to time to check back and confirm that things I experienced on my first trip are still the same 9 years later. So, some info could be outdated. If you know something is no longer accurate or available, please let me know! Additionally a lot of things about travel are based on personal preferences. I think that is what makes each trip unique and special. Making an International trip uniquely your own should be one of your goals. If you have a personal interest that in any way relates to the trip you are planning to take, try to tie something you do into that interest. Enrich your experience rather than just checking things off your list.

1 comment:

Kiki said...

Welcome to the blogisphere! I feel the same way about Japan. If only I can get my travel blog going now . . .