Sunday, November 10, 2013

Some Practical tips

Getting the big things right is critically important, but the little things matter too. There is no right or wrong about any of this but here is what I do. You should review your own particulars so do not assume that because all of this is true for me, it will be true for you also.

Before you leave, clean out the purse or wallet. We tend to drag the same wallet every where we go. But you do not need your library card, your punch or reward cards, and credit cards for particular stores, unless they are a Visa/Mastercard/Amex. I have a travel wallet. I move only what I want to take with me and leave all the other stuff behind. It makes it lighter, and also means that if I were to lose or have my wallet stolen, while a serious problem, it would be a minimized problem and not include all the stuff I didn't need there in the first place. Take the time to do one or the other.

Check your credit cards to find out what the International Exchange fees are on each. They can vary widely so you don't want to accidentally use the one that charges you the most for the majority of your expenses. Visa and Mastercard are used basically every where in England. As of late 2013, Discover has been making progress in being usable in more places. Generally, if the vendor will take International Diner's Club, they will take Discover. Note that Discover charges NO Intl exchange fees so it is worth checking the decals in the window or asking the clerks if they take I.D.C. In a couple of places, the clerk didn't know but was willing to try. 

Once you decide which cards to take, then call their customer service numbers and inform them about your travel dates. This will ensure that they know about charges that will be coming in from your trip and do not shut off your card until they can confirm they are your charges.

You will typically get the very best exchange rate from credit cards. You will need cash but I personally try to use my credit card for any purchase I can.  For cash, I always use one of the ATM's at the airport. Note that many ATM's in the UK do not have fees for out of network withdrawls. Your bank may charge you a fee but if you use at ATM that offers "Free Money", they will not. Your local bank and the Exchange service booths will charge a much higher exchange rate (meaning your money will get you less per dollar) or fees. In my experience, using the ATM has made the exchange rate basically equal to the current exchange rate.

Note that in Europe and the UK, their credit cards have chips in them. In the US, most of ours currently do not, though I've heard that some are moving in that direction. Where I found this to be an issue was in trying to use the pre-paid credit cards that you can get at the grocery store, for instance. In many places we could not use them. They did not have a chip, and without being able to enter a pin #, which of course you do not get with these pre-paid credit cards, their system could not use them.

If you want some security to ensure you don't get caught short, you may want to get some Traveler's checks.  This would enable you to exchange (at a higher rate) if you really got stuck because your ATM card didn't work or was lost or your credit cards were demagnetized, etc. I'd make them the last resort. You can always buy groceries with them when you return but for those who are nervous, it could be your back up plan. (I believe AAA members can get them at no extra charge from the local AAA club, but you'd have to check their current benefits information.)

These days we're pretty tied to our cell phones and if you have an iPhone or smart phone then there are great apps that are available for traveling. If you do plan to take and use your cell phone then be sure you check with your carrier and get an International plan for your time away. The charges otherwise will break the bank. I have an iPhone and AT&T. I can't speak for the others but generally you can add an Intl plan with data for a month at a time. Hopefully your trip will be only during one billing month or you may need it for two months. Some will allow you to indicate that you only want it for a month when you sign up, others may require you to call back and cancel once you return. They aren't cheap, but MUCH cheaper than without. The main thing is that you do NOT want your phone roaming any time you are not using it. So, make sure roaming is turned off as you carry it around, sleep etc. Being sort OCD about things like that, I also keep mine in Airplane mode as a back up. If I've forgotten one thing, I hopefully won't have forgotten the other. You also want to turn off the automatic "push" of data in your apps and emails. This will minimize how many GB of data you use, which tends to be the threshold for the Intl data plans. I believe this last time, I paid $30 roughly for 120 MB. After that, it would have been another $30. By keeping your apps from sending you data and emails you don't want or need during your visit, you can save the MB for travel related purposes.

Lastly, be sure you take with you a list of all the phone numbers you might need while you are over there. Your credit cards usually offer a phone number for customer service that is not an 800# (keep in mind, 800#'s only work IN the US, so you need an actual area code and number if you were to have to call from London.) Write down all the cards you are taking, their numbers and your account number. Include the number for your bank/ATM, and your phone service, if you plan to take your cell phone. I have a system for writing down the credit card numbers as well. I do not write down the actual number in case that page might be lost or stolen. It's a system only I know (not that someone else couldn't think of it and copy it) but looking at the 16 digit credit card number, if someone tried to use what I wrote, it would NOT be my Credit card number and they would not have any way of knowing that it wasn't real. I suggest you give it some thought and come up with your own. Then translate your credit card number into this new format. It's highly unlikely you will need it, and highly unlikely that your list would be lost, but it's always wise to plan for the worst and safe guard yourself against something unexpected.

Lastly, as large cities go, Central London generally feels very safe to me. The people are friendly and helpful. But, like any big city, it has it's crime and pick pockets exist there as they do anywhere. It may not be the worst place, but there is no reason to be cavalier. If you are a woman, then take a purse or bag that closes securely rather than one that you can just reach into. A bag that zips would be best. Be more vigilant than you normally would at home about keeping your purse on the front of your body or under your arm. I prefer one that I can put the strap over my head and not have it just hanging off my shoulder. That way no one can just grab it and pull off my shoulder or arm.If in a crowded place make sure you are conscious of how close people are and in a season when you might be wearing a coat, can you put your purse under your coat when in a crowd or being jostled? If you aren't someone who generally has "rules" about all these kinds of things, give some thought to them while traveling. Make sure you zip your purse closed when you aren't putting something in or taking something out.  I prefer to use a small purse with several pockets when I travel. It's big enough for my wallet, cell and passport but not a whole lot larger. It is small enough to go inside my coat. I keep my Oyster card (more on the Tube system in another post) in an outside pocket so I don't have to reach in and haul my wallet in and out in a public place where someone could grab and run. I do keep my Passport on me UNLESS the room has a safe (which is not common.) I make sure it is zipped into an inner pocket, thus two zippers from exposure. I then have a backpack or shoulder bag where I keep my guidebook, lip balm, kleenex, umbrella, purchases, etc. They are accessible, and I can get them out while standing in public, on public transportation, etc without opening my purse up and putting my valuables at risk. Even as I type this it sounds a bit hyper vigilant and excessive. But, because I take these steps as a precaution, then I'm not terribly nervous in the moment. I don't think I've been terribly lucky. I've just turned being careful into my travel norm, and then I don't give it a lot of thought while I'm walking around. You don't want to walk around feeling like you are about to become a victim. You should never feel like it can't happen, but if you are smart about how you prepare then you can generally feel fairly protected.







No comments: